McDougalls Carrot cake mix is used to make this classic rich fruit cake with spices, mixed fruits and treacle, layered with an almond paste.
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cooking Time: 1 hours 15 mins
Serving Size: 115g
- 600g (1lb 5oz) McDougalls Carrot Cake Mix
- 275 mls (9 floz) Cold water
- 50ml (2 floz) oil
- 100g (4oz) Sultanas
- 100g (4oz) Raisins
- 50g (2oz) Cherries
- 50g (2oz) Mixed Peel
- 350g (12oz) Marzipan
- 1 tbsp apricot jam
- Place the carrot cake mix into a mixing bowl fitted with a beater. Add the water and oil and mix for two minutes.
- Stop and scrape down. Add the fruit and continue to mix for a further four minutes at medium speed.
- Transfer half of the mix into a greased and lined deep 8" cake tin. Smooth down. Roll out a third of the marzipan into a 8" circle, place on top of the cake mixture and press down lightly. Spoon the remaining cake mixture on the top and level the surface.
- Bake at 150C/300F/Gas Mark 3 for approx. 1 - 1-1¼ Test regularly during baking. Do not confuse the marzipan with raw cake mixture when testing.
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin .
- Spread ¾ of the apricot jam on top of the cake. Roll out a third of the marzipan and place on top of the cake. Shape the remaining third into 12 balls and place in a circle using a little jam to stick them to the cake, and then blow torch to finish.
Notes – Simnel cake yield – 1460g
Almond sponge yield – 590g
Portion – 100g Simnel cake
35g Almond Sponge
Check the Cherries label for additional allergen information.