Shepherd’s Pie with Root Mash
Add some Bisto Gravy to browned minced lamb or beef and top with root vegtables for a tasty Shepherd’s pie.
Prep Time: 25 mins
Cooking Time: 30 mins
Serving Size: 338g
- 700g lean minced lamb or beef
- 600ml Bisto Gravy
- 900g potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 200g carrots, peeled and chopped
- 500g swede, peeled and chopped
- 4tbls milk
- 25g butter or margarine
- 50g grated cheddar cheese, optional
- Place the mince into a large fry pan and gently dry fry until the meat is browned,
- Pour the Bisto gravy over the mince and mix well. Simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the potatoes, carrots and swede into a large pan with lid, bring to the boil and then simmer gently until cooked. Drain and mash with milk and butter and then set aside.
- Transfer the Shepherd's pie filling into a serving dish then spread the mashed root vegetables evenly over the shepherd's pie mixture and sprinkle over the grated cheese if using.
- Bake 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5 for 35 or minutes until the topping is golden brown.
- Serve with fresh seasonal vegetables
For a vegetarian alternative subsitute the minced lamb or beef for Quorn Mince.