Roast New Season Lamb with Rhubarb & Cider Bisto Gravy
A seasonal, rolled, boneless shoulder of lamb roasted with fresh rhubarb and served with a rhubarb and cider gravy. This is a simple dish with a cost effective cut of meat.
Prep Time: 50 mins
Cooking Time: 4 hours
- 1.3kg Lean, rolled, boneless, lamb shoulder joint
- 10g Ground cinnamon
- 225g Fresh rhubarb (roughly chopped)
- 30g Honey
- 50ml Sweet cider
- 900ml Boiling water
- 75g Bisto Gravy Granules
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Make several slits across the surface of the joint with a sharp knife. Rub the salt, pepper and cinnamon all over the joint.
- Place the joint in a roasting tray and cook for three and a half hours, basting occasionally.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle the rhubarb around the lamb, then drizzle with honey. Place back in the oven and cook for a further 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, place the lamb on a separate tray and cover loosely with foil, leaving to rest for 30 minutes.
- To make the gravy; spoon off any excess fat from the roasting tray and discard.
- Place the tray over a medium heat and pour in the cider and water before bringing to a simmer. Stir well with a whisk, scraping the base of the tray to release any rich lamb sediment.
- Sprinkle the Bisto gravy granules over and continue to whisk until thickened, then pass through a sieve into a clean pan.
- Serve the lamb with seasonal vegetables and the rhubarb and cider gravy.
Try also rubbing in a little smoked paprika at stage two