Pork Steak with Apricot, Barley and Kale
This recipe is suitable for diabetics.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 40 mins
- 25ml Olive oil
- 25 Garlic purée
- 2 Onions (finely diced)
- 250g Carrot (large dice)
- 400g Pearl barley
- 1200ml Bisto Chicken Bouillon (prepared)
- 300g Curley kale (stems removed and shredded)
- 10 Apricots
- 10 x 150g Lean pork loin steaks
- 10g Sage leaves (shredded)
- Fresh herbs to garnish
- 500ml Bisto Low Salt Gravy (prepared)
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the garlic, onions, carrots and cook until they start to colour (about 10 minutes).
- Add the barley and stir to mix through. Add the hot chicken stock and bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Grill pork steaks for 8-10 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Halve the apricots and remove the stone, then grill so they caramelise.
- Add kale to the barley mixture and cook for a further 7-8 minutes until it is cooked, ensuring the barley is soft and had enough stock. Add more if its needed.
- To serve, place the barley and vegetable mixture into the muddle of the plate and stop with pork steak, two halves of grilled apricot and serve with a drizzle of Bisto Low Salt Gravy.