McDougalls Steamed Buns with Slow Cooked Brisket
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cooking Time: 4 hours 15 mins
Slow cooked brisket and onions:
- 25ml Olive oil
- 200g Onions (sliced)
- 2kg Beef brisket
- Salt and black pepper (to taste)
- 6 Garlic cloves (crushed)
- 500ml Bisto Beef Bouillon (made up as per pack instructions)
- 20ml Worcestershire sauce
- 10ml Soy sauce
- 1kg McDougalls Soft Bap Mix (made up as per pack instructions)
- 20ml Sunflower oil
- Pickled carrot strips
- Sliced spring onions
1. Pre-heat the oven to 140°C.
2. Heat a frying pan over a medium heat with the olive oil. Add the onions and cook for approximately 10 minutes or until the onions have caramelised, then add the garlic and cook for a further minute before removing from the pan.
3. Season the brisket and place back in the pan; sear the brisket until golden brown, then place in a large casserole dish (fat/skin side up).
4. Sprinkle over the garlic and onions, then pour over the Bisto Beef Bouillon, Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce.
5. Cover and cook in the oven for approximately 4 hours or until the brisket is tender (then remove from the oven and rest for 20 minutes).
6. Meanwhile, make up the dough, as per the instructions on pack and divide the dough into 20 equal portions (approx 85g each), and shape into balls.
7. Using a rolling pin, roll out each ball into an oval shape, approximately 4 mm thick and rub the surface with a little oil.
8. Take a chopstick and lightly oil one end, then place the chopstick in the centre of the oval and fold the dough over the chopstick, then remove the chopstick.
9. Place the buns onto a suitable baking tray and prove until doubled in size. Then place the buns in a steamer for approximately 10 minutes, until fully cooked.
10. Slice or shred the brisket, mix with the onions and juices and serve inside each bun (if required, reduce the cooking liquor before serving). Add some pickled carrot and spring onion, as an accompaniment.
- Cooking time will depend on the size and shape of the brisket
- Brisket can be cooked the day before and reheated
- Try adding fresh chilli and ginger for extra spice