Lancashire Hot Pot
A traditional regional dish, that can be adapted with the use of mutton, as well as lamb and also used as a pie filling. The flavours of this dish can also be further adapted with spices or tomatoes.
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cooking Time: 1 hours 45 mins
- 30g Butter or vegetable oil
- 500g Stewing lamb (2-3cm dice)
- 75g Onion, chopped (1cm)
- 150g Carrots, peeled and sliced (5mm)
- 10ml Worcestershire sauce
- 250ml Bisto Chicken Bouillon (made as per instructions)
- 15g Bisto Gravy Granules
- 1 Bay leaf
- 450g Potatoes, peeled and sliced
- Heat oven to 180°C.
- Heat a third of the butter or vegetable oil in a medium pan, brown the lamb and remove from the pan.
- In the same pan, fry the onions and carrots with another third of the butter or oil until golden brown.
- Pour over the Worcestershire sauce and bouillon, then bring to a simmer.
- Stir in the gravy granules, add the meat and bay leaves, turn off the heat and transfer to a suitable oven-proof dish.
- Arrange the sliced potatoes on top of the meat, then brush with the final third of butter or oil.
- Place in the oven for about 1½ hrs until the potatoes are cooked and finish under the grill until golden brown.