- 500g Hovis Best of Both Bread & Roll Mix
- 370ml Warm water
- 20g Sunflower seeds
- 20g Seasame seeds
- 20g Pumpkin seeds
- 80g Blackcurrants (frozen)
- 50g Caster sugar (for cooking in water)
- 150g Unsalted butter (optional) and caster sugar into a large bowl
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200°C
2. Place the Hovis Best of Both Bread & Roll Mix in a mixer fitted with a dough hook. Blend in the warm water and mix on a medium speed for 5 minutes.
3. Add the seeds and blackcurrants, and mix for a further 30 seconds on a slow speed, until fully incorporated.
4. Split the dough into 10 equal portions (approx 96g each) and mould into a flattish ball.
5. Take a wooden spoon and use the handle to make a hole in the middle of each ball, then twirl the bagel around the spoon handle to make a hole about 3cm wide, using a little flour if the dough becomes sticky (cover the bagel loosely with cling film while you shape the remaining dough).
6. Bring a large pan of water to the boil and add the sugar.
7. Place the bagels in the boiling water (keeping them separate so they don’t stick together) and cook for approx 2 minutes, turning over, until the bagels have puffed slightly and a skin has formed. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon (draining any excess water) and place onto a baking tray.
8. Bake for approx 12 minutes, until golden brown and serve either whole or sliced, toasted and buttered.
- You can use a selection of any seeds or nuts; why not try chia seeds or pecans
- The bagels can be frozen after boiling, and baked from frozen
- If your blackcurrants are a little tart, dust in icing sugar before adding to the dough