Hot Chocolate Fondant and Madagascan Vanilla Ice Cream
It is claimed the chocolate fondant was invented by Jean-Georges Vongerichten by mistake in the late 1980’s. He removed a chocolate sponge from the oven that was not fully cooked in the centre but was warm, runny and tasty! This recipe follows that tradition using McDougalls flour and is served with Bird’s Ice Cream, enriched with cream and Madagascan vanilla.
Prep Time: 35 mins
Cooking Time: 12 mins
For Bird’s Ice Cream
- 90g Bird’s Ice Cream powder
- 90ml Semi skimmed milk (chilled)
- 90ml Double cream (chilled)
- 1 Madagascan vanilla pod (split and deseeded)
For the fondant
- 30g Butter (to line the moulds)
- 5g Cocoa powder (to line the moulds)
- 220g Dark chocolate (melted)
- 200g Butter (melted)
- 210g Caster sugar
- 4 Whole eggs and 4 egg yolks (medium size eggs)
- 210g McDougalls Plain Flour
- In a mixing bowl with a whisk attachment, add the cream, milk, vanilla seeds and Bird’s Ice
- Cream Powder. Whisk on a slow speed for 30 seconds, scrape down and then whisk on a high speed for 5 minutes. Place the mix in a suitable container, with a lid and freeze (for a minimum of 12 hours).
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C.
- Brush the melted butter inside 10 pudding moulds. Place the moulds in the fridge to set. Then repeat to get a good coating.
- Pour cocoa powder in each mould to completely cover the butter and then repeat in each mould.
- In a bowl with a whisk attachment, mix the eggs, yolks and sugar, until thick.
- Fold in the flour, then gradually pour in the melted chocolate until you have a smooth batter.
- Divide the batter between the moulds and chill for 20 minutes.
- Bake for 10–12 minutes (from chilled). Remove from the oven and leave to stand for 1 minute.
10. Carefully tip out onto a plate and serve with Bird’s Ice Cream.
- McDougalls flour is pre-sieved so you will not need to sift this again
- For a softer ice cream add a touch of stock syrup or alcohol
- You can also freeze the fondants; these will keep for 3 months and bake them from frozen (add an extra 5 minutes to the baking time)
Check Chocolate for additional allergen information.