Homepride Causa Croquetas
- 400g Smash Potato
- 1.6ltrs Boiling water
- 1 Whole egg (beaten)
- 6 Avocados (ripe)
- 2 Limes (juice and zest)
- 2 Small red onions (finely chopped)
- 3g Cayenne pepper (optional)
- Salt and black pepper (as required)
- 1 Handful coriander (chopped)
- 2 Tomatoes (skinned, seeded and finely diced)
- 300g Canned tuna (drained and flaked)
- 100g McDougalls Plain Flour
- 2 Eggs (beaten)
- 100g Homepride Tomato & Basil Sauce
- 50g Olive oil
- 50g White wine vinegar
1. For the salad dressing, whisk together the Homepride Tomato & Basil Sauce, the olive oil and white wine vinegar. Place in the fridge.
2. In a suitable bowl, add the Smash to the boiling water and mix together. Allow to cool slightly, then stir in the whole egg and
season to taste.
3. Gently fold through the tomatoes, tuna and coriander and place to one side.
4. Halve and stone the avocados, scoop out the flesh into a bowl, then add the lime juice and zest, red onion and cayenne pepper. Season with salt and pepper, then using a fork, roughly mix everything together.
5. Place a 75g scoop of mashed potato in your hand and roll into a ball. Press a hole in the centre, about 2cm deep and spoon in some of the guacamole mixture. Close the hole as gently as you can to conceal the filling, then repeat until you’ve used up all the mash and filling – you should end up with around 30 Croquetas.
6. Roll each Croqueta in the flour, dip it into the egg, then coat in breadcrumbs.
7. Deep fry in vegetable oil at 180°C for approximately 4 minutes, until golden brown, reaching a core temp above 72°C.
8. Drain on kitchen paper and serve 3 Croquetas per portion on a bed of mixed leaf salad, with the dressing.
- As well as tuna, you could replace with cooked crab meat, salmon or prawns
- For a vegetarian version you can replace the tuna with a South American cheese, such as Oaxaca
- If making the guacamole mix in advance, place a couple of the avocado stones in the mix, this helps to stop it going brown
- Why not try serving the guacamole on top of the Croquetas