- 250g Filling: Dried stoned dates chopped
- 50ml Apple juice
- 15g Fat reduced cocoa powder
- 225g Canned apples, finely chopped
- 900g Dough: McDougalls Soft Bap Mix
- 550ml Warmed apple juice
- For the filling. Place the chopped dates and 150ml (¼ pt) apple juice in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, and then simmer over a gentle heat stirring occasionally, until dates have softened & absorbed the juice.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the cocoa and chopped apples, and then allow to cool. For the dough.
- Place the McDougalls Soft Bap Mix in a bowl fitted with a dough hook. Blend in the warmed apple juice on slow speed, then mix on medium speed for 8 minutes.
- Divide the dough in half. Take one half and roll out to a rectangle approximately 25cm x 35cm (10 x 14) and spread half the date filling evenly over the dough.
- Roll up lengthways then cut into 10 equal pieces. Place buns in a deep tin, cut side up, then repeat with the remaining half of the dough. Leave to prove in a warm place for 20-25 minutes. 6. Bake at 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7 for 15-20 minutes. Leave to cool.
After cooking, why not try brushing the top of the swirls with clear honey to glaze. Recipe also works well with the McDougalls White Bread & Roll Mix.