Courgette and Lime Cake
Put a twist on traditional with this innovative cake, which can be served as a sweet snack or alternative dessert.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 35 mins
- 875g McDougalls Plain Sponge Mix
- 200g Courgettes, grated
- 2 Limes, grated zest and juice
- 440ml Water
- 200g Icing sugar
- Remaining lime juice
- Add half of the lime juice to a measuring jug and make up to 440ml with water.
- Place half the water and lime juice mixture into a mixing bowl and add the McDougalls Plain Sponge Mix and the grated rind from the two limes.
- Select the whisk attachment and mix on a slow speed for one minute.
- Scrape down and mix for a further four minutes on medium speed.
- Stir in the grated courgette and mix well.
- Pour the cake mix into a 25cm x 35cm (10”x 14”) greased and lined baking tin.
- Evenly spread batter across the whole tray before cooking to ensure a level and even sponge.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 190°C/375°F Gas Mark 5 for 25-35 minutes or until risen, golden and firm to the touch.
- For Fan assisted ovens cook at 170°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3.
- Whilst the cake is cooling, place the icing sugar in a bowl. Gradually stir in sufficient lime juice to make a smooth icing. Spread or drizzle over the sponge and allow this to set before cutting the cake into portions.
- Grate lime zest on top.
Replace the courgettes with grated sweet potato and flavour with orange instead of lime for a variation.