Braised Beef Brisket with Chive and Horseradish Dumplings, Braised Vegetables and Bisto Sauce
This is a slow cooked dish that works great using either Brisket or Silverside of beef and can be braised in the oven, as well as the stove top if you’re stuck for space.
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cooking Time: 3 hours
- 3.6kg Brisket joint (tied)
- 10g Black pepper, cracked
- 10g Smoked paprika
- 1ltr Boiling water
- 25g Bisto Beef Bouillon
- 400g Onion, 10mm diced
- 400g Carrot, 10mm diced
- 400g Swede, 10mm diced
- 75g Bisto Reduced Salt Gravy Granules
For the dumplings:
- 250g Onion, finely chopped
- 10ml Olive oil
- 560g Self raising flour
- 5g Mustard powder
- 275g Suet
- 1tblsp Fresh chives, chopped
- 5g Horseradish sauce
- Salt and black pepper
- 100ml Cold water
- Combine the pepper and smoked paprika and rub into the beef joint.
- Add the bouillon to the boiling water.
- Place the beef in a large pan, pour over the bouillon and add the carrots and onion.
- Cover the dish and cook on the stove, on a low heat for two hours, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, prepare the dumplings using the method below.
- Add the swede and continue cooking a further hour, until the meat is tender.
- Remove the meat from the pan.
- Sprinkle in the Bisto Reduced Salt Gravy Granules and stir until thickened.
For the dumplings:
- Fry 250g onion in the oil until brown and caramelised, then allow to cool.
- Sieve the mustard powder and flour together.
- Add the suet, chives, horseradish and cooked onion, and season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the water over all the ingredients and mix, adding a little more water if required, until all the mixture comes together to form a dough.
- Divide the mixture into 20 and roll each one into a round ball, cover and allow to rest in the fridge for approx. 30 minutes.
- Place the dumplings into the pot roast approx 20 minutes before serving or alternatively steam in the oven for 20 minutes.
To serve, slice the beef into thick slices, cover with the sauce and place the dumplings on top with a portion of the vegetables.
Check Horseradish label for additional allergen information.