Chicken & Mushroom Pie
Chicken Thigh & Chestnut Mushrooms in a creamy white sauce with Bisto Chicken Bouillon in shortcrust.
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 40 mins
Serving Size: 300g
- 30ml Olive Oil
- 750g Chicken Thigh - 2cm dice
- 250g Chestnut Mushrooms - washed and quartered
- 100g Onion - finely chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic - crushed
- 300ml Boiling Water
- 25g Bisto Chicken Bouillon Paste
- 500ml Milk (warm)
- 50g Flour
- 80g Butter
- 1kg Short Crust Pastry
- Eggwash for glazing
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the chicken, until just cooked. Remove from the pan and set to one side, to cool.
- In the same pan, cook the mushroom, onions and garlic until they soften. Remove from the pan.
- Again, using the same pan, make a roux with the butter and flour and gradually add the milk, water and bouillon, whisking over a low heat, until you have a thick and smooth sauce. Then allow to cool.
- Mix the chicken and mushroom mix into the cooled sauce and place in a suitable pie dish (with or without a pastry base) and cover with a short crust pastry lid, then glaze with eggwash.
- Bake at 190c for approx 25 minutes, or until fully cooked and golden brown.
Chicken & Mushroom is the second most popular pie to Steak and Ale and in this version we use chicken thigh and chestnut mushrooms and by using Bisto you can make this your own. If you want the sauce slightly richer, add a little cream and white wine; take it up a stage further and add a touch of tarragon. You can also make it using chicken breast and for a more cost effective version, try turkey. A number of other different ingredients can also be added, such as leek, bacon, carrots or potatoes; the choice is yours.