Apple and Blackberry Crumble with Custard
This simple dessert is packed full of the freshest autumnal ingredients. Bramley apples are just coming into season and perfectly complement blackberries, which reach their peak during these months. The use of unrefined dark brown soft sugar to bind the filling, offsets the tang of apple and the sharp but sweet juicy blackberries.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 25 mins
- 1kg Bramley apples (peeled, cored and chopped into 1cm pieces)
- 200g Blackberries (washed)
- 100g Unrefined dark brown soft sugar
- 300g McDougalls Crumble Mix
- 5g Icing sugar for dusting
- 1kg Bird’s Custard (ready to use)
- Mix the apples, blackberries and sugar in a bowl (be careful not to break down the blackberries).
- Place into individual ramekins or dishes and sprinkle with McDougalls Crumble Mix.
- Bake at 175°C for approximately 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve hot with Bird’s Custard.
- For a more indulgent crumble: add oats, muesli, nuts or mixed spice to the crumble mix
- For a speedy crumble: sprinkle crumble mix on top of prepared fruit and heat under the grill until golden brown
- You can also sprinkle McDougalls Crumble Mix onto a variety of other baked goods, prior to baking, such as muffins, sponges or tray bakes